I finished my degree a year later and got a job. I had no real career aspirations, I just wanted to work for a year before getting pregnant so I'd get my year of maternity leave (yes, in Canada you get a whole year). Then I was going to be a SAHM. Claudio had a good job painting, he was making more than enough money. This was going to be our life. This was The Plan.
![]() |
| Lemon Boy was born in 2007 |
The Plan changed in 2008 right about when the economy started to go downhill. Claudio hurt his back and got laid off from his job in October. Lemon Boy was 18 months and we had just bought a new house. We decided that I would get a job and Claudio would stay home with Lemon Boy until he found something else. It was a stressful time, it took me two and a half months to actually find a full-time job but it was also a good time as well. Claudio, Lemon Boy and I spent a lot of time together (with no one working) and amazingly we didn't get tired of each other!
The following February (2009) Claudio was hired at our Church to lead the youth group as a part-time job. This was kind of cool because Claudio had actually finished about half of a Leadership and Ministry diploma at a local Bible college earlier in our marriage; but had given it up because he didn't really see the point of finishing if he was going to be a painter for the rest of his life. He continued with the part-time position until a month before I had Googa at which point the church hired him full-time. I was of course
![]() |
| Googa was born in February 2010 |
Claudio is now full-time youth pastor/downstairs custodian at our church. I work full-time as an Administrative Assistant at a foundation. Sometimes I think about the original plan. How wonderful it was all going to be and how perfect it looked and sometimes... I wonder "what if?"
We work opposite shifts (me during the day, him at night with one day a week) Although working full-time was not what I wanted, right now it's what I have to do. My boys get to spend their days with Daddy and one day a week with their Tia and cousins. Although the boys enjoy this arrangement for the most part, it certainly wasn't part of our original plan!
When I look back, I can clearly see God's hand directing our lives. I know that right now Claudio and I are where we are supposed to be, in His Plan. Now generally you share these sorts of stories when everything is worked out and you can say "Look, see how God worked it all out for good! It's so much better than I had planned it!" But that's not where I am right now. The truth is, right now I'm struggling with His Plan and I find myself questioning and comparing my life with those around me.
On a whim the other day I turned to Isaiah 40. God must have turned those pages because this is what is says in verses 12-14
12 Who else has held the oceans in his hand? Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers? Who else knows the weight of the earth or has weighed out the mountains and the hills? 13 Who is able to advise the Spirit of the LORD? Who knows enough to be his teacher or counselor? 14 Has the LORD ever needed anyone's advice? Does he need instruction about what is good or what is best?
Oh.
You see, I have been complaining in my spirit about my current situation. I was telling God that it wasn't what's best for me and my family. What He was doing wasn't good, it wasn't what was best for me, for our family.
I was telling the God of the entire universe, the One who has no beginning and no end, the One who created me in my mother's womb and who knew every minute of every day of my life before I took my first breath, I was telling God that His Plan wasn't good enough, that He didn't know what was best for me!
I had forgotten God's sovereignty, His Greatness. I was turning Him into Santa Clause. "god, I was a good girl this year, now I want _________"
WRONG, wrong, wrong, wrong.
We don't always know why God allows our lives to take the turns that they do. Right now I can't see why God is doing what He's doing in my life. But here's where the hard part comes in. I know that God is Sovereign, He is The Lord. I believe this even if I don't always feel it.



I know how you feel. God has taken our lives and completely turned them around. Although part of our plan happened, another part didn't. I never thought I'd been living in such uncertain times and never thought I'd be living where I do now. But I know God has a plan and I have to have faith. I don't know where I'd be without God. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's true! Although we don't always understand why and where He's taking us, I'd rather be with Him than on my own :)
DeleteOh my, I love this. LOVE your honesty! This is exactly what I needed to hear right now!!! newest follower!!
ReplyDeleteYes, the plan is different. And rough. But you are seeing God. And that is GOOD!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are my friend!
Oh! Do you think God laughs at our plans? We lay them out so nicely and then wham! they all get blown away :) What a blessing to trust and see where he will lead!
ReplyDeleteWow this is very well written! My husband and I have a similar "plan" as your original one but it's good to be reminded that it may not always be God's plan for our lives and to be willing to follow Him! I'm hosting a mom's linky party today and would love for you to stop by and link this up!
ReplyDeletehttp://the-life-of-faith.blogspot.com/
I totally understand. We went through a horrible transition and I was devastated we had to move 3 times in 2 years, but God is good and I am so glad we aren't where we used to be. Your family is so beautiful. Our girls are the same age as your boys! Stopping by from Mom's Mingle. Hope to see you at True Aim!
ReplyDeleteI love this post. I hate moving too. You just never know what is in store for you!
ReplyDelete-meandmr.com
Today was a little rough for me. I told myself I was going to catch up with my comments from this past weekend and I'm so glad I am.
ReplyDeleteI needed this. Your word choices and not going off subject! Thank you so much! There is a reason for everything and I'm so happy you see God in everything you do !
Thank you for stopping by With Love, Jesika for the Blog this past weekend!
That just made me your biggest follower!!
Have a Beautiful Day
-jesika
Hi Jessica,
DeleteI'm always happy to meet new followers :) It can be hard to be vulnerable on my blog but I want to be an encouragement to those around me. How can I encourage if I don't admit my weaknesses? So glad you were blessed by this.
Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog!!
ReplyDeleteGreat reminder that our God is SOVEREIGN and has us where he wants us!
Heidi, this is an absolutely beautiful post! I had to tweet it! Love it! Your humility and dependence on God even through the struggles...as you walk through them. right. now. are such a beautiful testimony of what life can be when we walk in God's grace. Beautiful! And I love your wedding photo too. You look beautiful!
ReplyDelete...Ahh! I just love this post!
Ahhh, yes. Amen and Amen!! Thank you for your beautiful words. It's good to be reminded that God is always in control, even when it feels like life is crazy. xoxo
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting Andrea!
DeleteIt's always encouraging to know when something you write touches people.
Thanks for sharing this! It is amazing to read how God has worked His plan in your life! Found your blog through the link-up. So glad I did... what a blessing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Carrie!
DeleteWow...I like the 'turning to God as Santa Claus" ...I've been guilty. Great blog.
ReplyDeleteAs an Grandma I appreciate your openness in your blog. It is refreshing, too, to read blogs by younger women who are serious about growing in their faith and learning to trust God even when He doesn't do things exactly as you planned.
ReplyDeleteYour post reminds me of one of my favorite quotes (though I don't know the name of the original author): "Many people want to serve God, but only in an advisory capacity." Isn't that great? As though we can advise the God of the universe.
Great post! Thanks so much for sharing your testimony and linking up at Thriving Thursdays! I'm pinning this one to my Thriving Thursdays board on pinterest :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Heidi! I love that verse - it's so good to be reminded of how big God is and how small a picture we see of what He is doing. Sometimes I think that if we knew all the various things we would go through on the front end, we would say, "No way, God!", but when you just have to keep trusting Him for the next step, He totally gives you the grace and strength for every trial. And in the end, when we do finally get to see the big picture, we'll get to say that His leadership truly was perfect and He was right all along. :)
ReplyDeleteYou're right Jacquie! God is good, even when we don't see it (and there's a reason He doesn't show us the whole picture, we wouldn't be able to handle it!)
DeleteThis is so well written. I am also a planner…a compulsive planner. I even plan back up plans for the plans I plan that won’t fail. It is an illness. And just like you I had a plan. Then God told me my plans were wrong and set my husband in my path! It is beautiful to see the way God works in our lives and how when we trust him and leave the planning to him, everything just falls into place! It sounds like you are very blessed!
ReplyDeleteWhen I finally took my eyes off of myself and looked around I did realize that I am very blessed :)
DeleteHeidi...it is such a comfort to know that God knows what is best...all the time! Thank you for sharing your story at WJIM this week. Blessings.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete