Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thankful Thursday (Toilet Talk)


Yep, that's me pretending to doing housework as a small child. Glam-ing it up in my princess dress. Nice.

As I've previously mentioned, I clean the bathrooms in my house every Tuesday evening. Do I feel like doing this on Tuesday nights, after I've put the boys to bed by myself because Claudio's working? No

It is easy to get bogged down in the negative. I could clean with a bad attitude, angry because the whole opposite working shifts with my husband isn't what I wanted and it makes me tired and lonely sometimes. Or annoyed because I don't understand why my boys feel the need to cover their mirror with toothpaste, splashing water and smudges every week!

We have three bathrooms in our house. This adds up to a lot of cleaning. The other day I was thinking about this and realized that all those bathrooms equals one bathroom per person who uses them (Googa's still in diapers) Seriously! Plus we have a rough-in for a bathroom downstairs so when we finish the basement (someday) we will have four bathrooms for a family of four.

Note: We had one bathroom for my family of 5 until I was about 12.

Wow, this family is blessed! I know it's kind of silly but when I thought about it that way I realized that a little bit of perspective can change my attitude. What looks to me like a bad thing (having to clean three bathrooms after a long day) could be someone else's dream (running water and flush toilets, owning their own home, having the health to work and/or run their own household, two children who are active and healthy, etc). It's amazing how many blessings that I could miss if I spend my night complaining about household chores.

So this week I'm thankful for bathrooms and Tuesday night cleaning sessions. Thankful for changed perspectives and opening my eyes to the blessings all around me.

What are you thankful for? 



a punk, a pumpkin and a peanut

The Fontenot Four

16 comments:

  1. I agree with all of it. Sometimes the mess that is made by everyone but you, can be such a bother. And then having to clean all by yourself all that house. But I am so thankful for my kids. For my house. For 1-1/2 bathrooms. (our family of 8 kids, 2 adults shared 1 bathroom my entire life)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder on perspective, need that constantly! So thankful for my 2.5 bathrooms!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is all about perspective. Thankful God helped redirect mine :)

      Delete
  3. I hear your pain in the cleaning of "all the bathrooms". I've been so thankful lately for our 2.5 bathrooms, especially since potty training!
    P.S Love the cleaning picture...that was the kitchen in the trailer, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the oldschool picture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it's fun to dig out old pics sometimes :)

      Delete
  5. I am so thankful for an indoor bathroom! I can't imagine what it would be like to go without. I'm also extremely thankful for the outlet in our bathroom so I can dry my hair. We all share one bathroom right now, but are hoping to eventually buy a house with two (ideally before our twins are potty-training). A blessing, indeed!
    Thanks for linking up and sharing your lovely blog! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful perspective flip! Sooo true. That picture is super cute too, especially that dress. :)

    New follower from #faithfilledlife.

    Falen
    www.upwardnotinward.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful attitude shift! We have two COMPLETE bathrooms, and I NEVER expected to have more than one, because most Ukrainian apartments only have one bathroom. It is such a huge blessing, especially with three potty-trained children ages 5, 3, and 2. At those ages, when they need to go, they need to go NOW! If it weren't for the fact that we have two toilets, certain people would have to be going in a bucket from time to time! I'm also so thankful for the extra-capacity washing machine that helps me stay on top of the every-present piles of laundry and the fact that we have enough clothing to generate such piles in the first place. :)
    Sharon
    www.mommyjoys.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, that's how my brothers and I were too, when we only had one bathroom! Funny how one of us always had to go urgently as soon as someone else went into the bathroom :)

      Delete
  8. Love the thankful button!! What a cute pic!
    Love your blog!We should be friends and follow each other?
    xox
    Ash@ABpetite
    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless you. I'm thankful my boys are old enough that they can clean all the bathrooms (at least the sinks - the "get the dirtiest fastest parts" of the bathroom) themselves. They do the toilets too, but that part I have to supervise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I cannot WAIT for my boys to be able to clean their own bathroom. That day cannot come fast enough :)

      Delete
  10. Heheh I love the photo of you cleaning in the princess dress! :)
    Dropping by from the GFC Blog Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...