Monday, October 22, 2012

Pebre, It's a Chilean Thing

Today I am going to share with you one of my favorite Chilean recipes. Actually, truth be told, it is probably the only Chilean thing that I make. I love so many Chilean dishes but so far I'm content to let Claudio's family cook them and I'll do my part and eat them! I do, however, make a mean pebre.

What is pebre you ask? Well, if I had to compare it to something, I would say it's pretty much like a spicy bruschetta but with cilantro instead of basil. In fact, if cilantro's not your thing I would suggest you stop reading right here because that fragrant herb is one of the stars of this dish.

Below are the ingredients you will need for your pebre. Generally olive oil is used but my Mom bought me this amazing unrefined, organic, cold pressed canola oil and it is just so good so today I used that. Also, if you have real lemons it just adds that much more flavour, but again, use what you've got. Sriracha is not a Chilean thing (they would use ahi) but it really does add some nice flavour and heat. You can get it in a paste or the more common Rooster Sauce.


Chop up 4 or 5 roma tomatos, one small onion, two large garlic cloves and a bunch of cilantro. Add two tablespoons oil and one tablespoon lemon juice. I added two tablespoons of Sriracha but I like it spicy so adjust according to your tastes. Salt and pepper to taste.


These are not exact measurements. You may need a bit more or less oil and lemon juice but it's good to keep the ratio of one part lemon juice to two parts oil. Once you have the right mixture it's better to let it sit for a while to let the flavours mingle. In fact, it's usually tastier the next day but in our house it doesn't generally last that long!

 

You can put pebre on crackers, rice, steak, fish or whatever. My favorite way to eat it though is on fresh french bread (but I didn't have any in the house so I settled for Ritz crackers). Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. What a lovely blog! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would stop on by my blog and return the favor!

    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    Thanks!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! I love bruschetta and cilantro. Sounds like a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I am new follower from Friday's Letters. That looks so yummy!

    I think the point of view on your blog is great, so I have nominated you for a Liebster Award.

    For more information on the Liebster you can check out my post at http://notdonegrowing.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    I look forward to reading more posts!

    Holly

    http://notdonegrowing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMM pebre so yummy! When you come visit us (Yes I said "When") every resturant that you go to gives you bread an pebre while you wait for your food! You would die :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing. Where can one find sriracha? Visiting from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love bruschetta, and that is exactly what this reminds me of! But my husband loves spice and I know he would flip for this! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces. Have a blessed week & please come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm that looks great! What a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite! Seriously, I could eat this stuff for breakfast, lunch and supper :)

      Delete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...