Thursday, October 18, 2012

Devious or Genius?

When my brothers and I were little we often got into fights, like most siblings do. There was this one time my brother Scott and I were arguing and my Dad, fed up with our bickering, told us he'd had enough and sent us downstairs to await our punishment.

We both went downstairs and sat there, waiting for the inevitable spanking. Yes, when I was growing up I was spanked, not abused, but spankings were handed out when needed. For whatever reason, that day it took my Dad a little longer than usual to come down the stairs. I was sitting there, beside my brother, waiting for the door to open when I had an idea.

"Hey Brother, here's what we're going to do. As soon as the door starts to open, let's hug each other and say I'm sorry!"

It worked! We got off with a lecture.

My brother reports that he tried the same thing with our younger brother...  it didn't work quite as well the second time.

Does this kid look like me?

I've often been told that Lemon Boy looks quite a bit more like me than like my husband. I tend to agree but I've always thought he was more like Claudio in attitude. They both love to bug and have a great sense of humour.

Anyways, I was having a conversation with my oldest about kindergarten the other day and it went like this:

Lemon Boy: Kids who get into trouble have to go sit at the timeout table

Me: Oh, have you ever had to sit at the timeout table?

Lemon Boy: Oh yes! and guess what? If you get sent there during chore time then you don't have to clean up!

Uh oh! We had a little talk right then and there about listening to Mrs. Teacher and how Daddy and I did not want to hear from her that Lemon Boy was not obeying

Lemon Boy: Don't worry Mom, I've only had to sit there once.

Later that evening I was telling my husband about Lemon Boy and my conversation and his reply was "well, he gets it from you!"

Umm... excuse me? I was the goody two shoes all my life and you? Well you weren't!

And then Claudio reminded me of my sly behavior to get out of that well deserved spanking. Oh yeah, I guess maybe Lemon Boy does get his scheming from me!


Do your kids make you laugh? Mine certainly do! 
Do you see yourself in them at the most inopportune times? I know I do! And sometimes it makes me crazy! 
 But I'm so thankful for my kids.

Thankful that they make me laugh! Thankful that they remind me of my younger self. Thankful for all the ways they make life interesting.

It's Thankful Thursday, what are you thankful for?





Linking up with Sarah, Carina, Emily and Cassie

18 comments:

  1. I love having a boy too! So much more fun. Thanks for linking up to the CHQ blog hop this week and make sure you enter the giveaway! Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment! My boys get pretty much all of their bad behaviour from me! I was really hoping one would turn out like my husband but so far little mini me's!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that reminds me of a quote I've heard before "Grandkids are a parent's best revenge!" ha ha, all those things I did that drove my parent's crazy... they'll come back to haunt me :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goona, this was so cute! Kids say the cutest things. I love to sit and listen to them when they don't know I'm there. One of my all time favorite things about these blogs is that it has documented some of the greatest kid quotes in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the hug thing.=) Glad it worked for you.=) My kids are more like me than I want to admit, but I always blame the negatives on my husband's family. I mean, they try to claim all the looks, they can claim the bad behavior too, right?!=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Heidi,
    I am very thankful for my family, although some precious family members live very far away. Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet...and funny! I think he looks very much like you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was too cute! hahaha siblings, your worst enemy and best friend

    ReplyDelete
  8. He very much looks like you! I love the photos and the honesty of the time out plan! I've often thought mine might be trying to pull the wool over my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids sure can be sneaky! Luckily he's still little enough that I catch him most of the time :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Heidi, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from the Mommy Brain Mixer.

    You've gotta love devious kids, it means they have creative minds!!! My youngest is totally like that and secretly? I'm kind of glad...

    Anyway, it’s nice to “meet” you! Hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny! Little boys are a mess. I have one, and he's devious, and he makes me laugh all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehehe..loved this post..
    My daughter Bionic apparently is following in my childhood footsteps...and we look very much alike as well.

    I am thankful for provision, protection, love, family and friends.

    Found you through aloha blog hop...pls do check out my website as well...www.superworkingmum.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing :) I'll be coming by to see you shortly!

      Delete
  12. Good post! yes, life with boys can be very, well, let's just say "interesting" is a good word! :) We have three over here, and life is never boring! Our first girl is on the way, and I'm sure we'll be in for a few surprises! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, three boys and a girl! Your house will be full of mischief and laughter I'm sure!

      Delete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...