Monday, August 20, 2012

Encouragement, Blog Award Style

I've been reading and thinking a lot about encouragement lately. I think sometimes we don't realize how much a simple word of encouragement can really make a difference to people. My Dad tells me all the time that I'm a great Mom, that Claudio and I are doing a great job parenting our boys. I know he's my Dad and he's supposed to say nice things but every time he says that I sit up just a little bit straighter. It's hard work being a parent and maybe it's just me, but I do sometimes wonder if maybe I'm not up to the task. When my Dad tells me once again that I'm a great Mom, it gives me a boost and helps me keep going, to be that great Mom that he says I am.

The world would be a better place if everyone got a 
genuine word of encouragement every day! 

There's nothing more encouraging for a blogger than to know that people enjoy reading what they've written. Bloggers love comments, we put ourselves out there with every word we write and when there's no response, well, sometimes we get discouraged. Imagine how excited I was when I was checking out some new comments on my blog last week and found that a fellow blogger had awarded me my first blog award! Wow, I still find it somewhat amazing that people actually want to read what I write, especially those that don't know me in real life. It is very heartwarming as a small-time blogger to get encouragement like this. Then yesterday I was awarded my second blog award, so much love. I know it's a little cheesy but it's fun all the same :)

So a big thank you to Jenny @ Cassandra's Corner  for The Versatile Blogger and to Kate @ Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine for the Liebster Award. These ladies are awesome, Cassandra really tells it like it is and Kate seriously writes the most funniest posts I've ever read, her kids are hilarious! Go check out their blogs! Since these two awards basically ask you to do the same thing I'm going to post my answers for the Liebster Award.

The Liebster Award is given to bloggers by bloggers. It's given to up and coming bloggers with fewer than 200 followers.  It's a way to acknowledge and encourage each other, and its a great way to spread the word about smaller blogs who deserve a larger audience.  

Here's what I (the recipient) have to do:

1) Each person must list 11 things about themselves.
2) Answer the 11 questions that the tagger has set for you PLUS you MUST create 11 questions of your own for the 11 people you will nominate with this award.
3) Choose up to 11 bloggers linking them to your post.
4) Go to their pages and inform them of the nominations.
5) Absolutely NO tag backs.
6) Remember to ONLY tag bloggers with less than 200 followers  

So here we go! 11 Random Things About Myself:

1. My first semester of university I wore a hat every.single.day. No joke
2. I love, love, LOVE unbaked cheesecake with cherry topping.
3. I have my lifeguard certification but I don't like going in the ocean (there is crazy stuff in that there water!)
4. I have no sisters but have four sister-in-laws. They are all awesome :)
5. I have curly hair but straighten it all the time.
6. I leave my keys in the lock all the time
7. I started dating Claudio in December and married him the following December
8. I've never painted a wall, a fence or anything similar in my life
9. When I was little I used to wish I had red hair
10. I think canned peas are the grossest thing ever
11. I have zero sense of direction, I hate it 

Now the questions I have to answer

1. What is your favorite book of all time? I don't know. Seriously, I love so many books. I guess Thursday Next by Jasper Fford.
2. Who is your favorite comedian? Kristen Wigg 
3. What made you want to start blogging? I am a voracious blog reader and decided to join in the fun
4. What is your least favorite food? Mustard (is that a food?)
5. Introvert or extrovert? Mostly introvert although I can scratch up a little extrovert if I need to
6. Where did you grow up? I lived in a small northern Alberta town called La Crete until I was 8, then moved to Calgary
7. Where was the last place you went on vacation? Langley B.C.
8. What is your biggest pet peeve? People who always have a story that tops whatever your story was
9. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I wish I was better at keeping in touch with friends
10. Who's your favorite Olympian? Rosannagh MacLennan (Canada's only gold medalist in London)
11. What did you eat for breakfast this morning? An egg, cooked in the microwave

Now onto the blogs that I will be passing the Liebster Award/Encouragement to Keep Writing onto! Please pay them a visit! (There are so many blogs I enjoy, this is a small sampling)

Barefoot Hippie
Cover to Cover
The Cozy Pink Cottage
Port of Thoughts
The 3 B's
Marino Bambinos

Nominee questions to answer:
1. Are you named after someone?
2. If you could be any animal, what would you be?
3. Favorite sport to watch on TV?
4. What is the last movie you watched?
5. Do you have a smart phone? If not, why?
6. Popcorn or peanuts?
7. What is your favorite band?
8. Would you rather go to bed early or late?
9. Favorite dessert?
10. What is your least favorite chore?
11. Do you have a collection?


Thanks Jenny and Kate for your encouragement today to keep writing! Thank you to all of you who read what I write and let me know that you appreciate my thoughts. You guys rock :)


7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your blog awards! :)

    You are absolutely right, a positive word definitely goes a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award, and thank you for nominating me, I am definatly feeling the love, and your post hit it spot on, a word of encouragment can really lift a person up. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meche, can't wait to see your answers!

      Delete
  3. Heidi, I so needed your encouragement today...or everyday! Thank you for enjoying my blog. I'm going to look into Thursday Next, and I agree with the peas and LOVE Cherry Cheesecake - a fave since I was a kid...but I've never had unbaked. I need that recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...