Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Boys Will Be Boys - Part II

I love having boys. They make me laugh


I've always said that if I had to have all the same gender I would pick boys. Not that I wouldn't like to have a girl (I do LOVE pink!) but there is just something about boys. When I was a swim instructor (before I had children) if the classes were divied up between boys and girls I would always take the boys.


That being said, my boys sometimes wear me out. They are rowdy, rambunctious and don't like to sit still for long. They want action, adventure and if you throw in some talk about bodily functions and add some accompanying sounds or smells, all the better!



Some people seem to think that boys should be made to sit still, lower their voices and not be loud or unruly.

I believe that boys need to be able to just be boys. They need to play, be outside, run around, climb trees, yell, wrestle and get dirty. I also think that boys need to be able to take risks (within reason). Lemon Boy climbs the tree in my parent's yard and the fence at his Appi's house. Googa is learning to jump from the picnic table at his Abuelo's (following Lemon Boy's example). They usually have at least a couple scrapes, bumps and bruises.

Yet I also believe that boys need to learn manners and respect for other people. There are times when it is not appropriate to run and jump, yell or fool around. Claudio and I expect our boys to listen and obey when we tell them to settle down

Our kids are not perfect. Claudio and I are NOT perfect parents. We are still learning but we have noticed that after our boys have been given enough time to just be boys, when we ask them to settle down they listen much quicker. There's a time and a place for everything.

Boys will be boys, work with them, not against them.







Linking up with
The Life of a Not So Ordinary Wife 
No Ordinary Blog Hop
Time-Warp Wife
Two in Diapers 

28 comments:

  1. Yes! I love this! I often get asked if my boys are "always like this" when they are being energetic, and, well...yes. They settle when we tell them to, for appropriate times and situations, but when they play they play hard, and if they don't get to do that, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I had girls, when I was expecting #3, I thought, "you know, I would be happy just with boys." But I am also very glad God blessed me with two girls. Totally different than the boys. Emotions up the Wazoo. Oh well.=)
    I nominated you for the sunshine blog award. Doing these awards is a lot of work, so if you don't want to answer all the questions, etc., just know that I am blessed to read your posts.=)
    www.barefoothippiegirl.com/2012/08/there-is-sunshine-in-my-soul-today.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my sister-in-law has three girls. I love my nieces dearly but that is a whole 'nother ball game :)

      Delete
  3. Mind if I steal another of your blog ideas? I confess, some of my blog ideas I've gotten from you. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your insight, especially since you and I both have two boys. I get to read that I'm not the only one out there who has situations like these. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Alicia! Thanks for the compliment :)

      Delete
  4. yes..boys will be boys when we let them...and it is a wonderful beautiful thing!! and they love when we keep our expectations for them high...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so different, I am like obsessively wanting girls. Seriously, I don't know what I would do if I had boys. Dare I say I would be slightly disappointed (something I beat myself up over). But this is kind of a beautiful post :)

    www.dysfunctionaleverafter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well as much as I'm glad I have boys, I'm sure if I'd had girls I would have loved them just as much :) When the baby is put in your arms you realize they were just what you wanted, regardless of gender.

      Delete
  6. Great post! I, too, am a boy person. When I was pregnant with my son, I never came up with a serious girl name (Zada? I read through the whole book, clearly) because I knew I was meant to have a son.

    They do come with their own unique set of challenges and can be exhausting! But I wouldn't change it for the world. Thanks for sharing!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to this post. When my son has his boys over they will play in his room or take all the toys outside and have fun making lots of mess. When the girls are over they come up to me and ask me if I can get something that they can't reach or they want me to sit with them. I've found boys to be much more easy going and more me! I'm following you from the hop, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Boys and girls are certainly different :)

      Delete
  8. Hi,thanks so much for linking up the Mommy Brain mixer! I have two boys too and completely agree with everything you said!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful boys you have. Boys are wonderful high energy and loving.
    Happy Little Feet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen! Great post! I have 2.5 boys because I think my daughter is a Tom-boy. She's more rambunctious than the other two and climbs and jumps right along with them. Too often boys are frowned upon for being themselves - boys. I really like this post. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think girls benefit from being outside too, I just don't have any so couldn't include them in this post :)

      Delete
  11. I love it when I pick up my little guy at church and when I ask how he did, the teacher tells me he was just being a boy with a wink. The teacher is a guy, too, and knows what they need. It is fun to watch them completely run themselves out of gas at times - then comes that beautiful sleep! Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is so helpful when other adults realize that boys need to be boys! Lemon Boy had a fantastic preschool teacher who was like that too.

      Delete
  12. I love my boys, but I do feel there is a time and a place for them to be rowdy (and there are days like today when they forget where that time and place is.) They definitely keep me on my toes. However, I love them dearly!!! I am totally utterly thrilled my last one is a girl though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my boys too (but I'd be lying if I didn't say that if we ever try for another one I'd love to have a girl :)

      Delete
  13. As a Mom of 2 boys I think boys are great, except when you have about 25 girls names picked out that you LOVE, and keep looking over at all the beautiful pink and purple stuff in the stores!
    Here from the Mixer, joined your site as a follower, so I'll be back.
    http://BakingInATornado.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is very true. I have three little boys and they are the most rambunctious group that I have ever known. My Middle Child loves to climb trees and my First Born loves to rough house. I often worry about broken bones, but so far so good. I would love to have you check out my blog, Adventures of the Triple B's, moms of boys need to stick together! ;o)
    Carmen
    www.thetriplebs.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exactly! Boys also need to learn how to be like daddy. My son spent a lot of time with me and not with his dad. Daddy worked too much when our son was young. I found that we had to be intentional at carving out time for them to be together. Now that our son is in his 20s and living away from home at university, my husband sees very little of him but when trouble comes, he calls his dad first! I think this is a good thing.
    Thanks for liking up with us at No Ordinary Blog Hop. Please do so again and every blessing, Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...