Friday, November 30, 2012

Advent Calendar

Last year we bought the boys generic advent calendars. You know, the $1 ones with a chocolate for every day of December. The boys loved them but this year I wanted to do something a little more meaningful.

I decided to make my own advent calendar and make an activity for each day of December along with a Bible reading.

Making the advent calendar was fairly easy. Inspired by ideas on Pinterest I decided to use clothes pins. Easy to decorate and attach to some cardboard plus I can easily switch around the papers if I realize a certain activity will not work on the date I had planned it for.


I bought a foam grid board from Staples. Fairly inexpensive, very light but more sturdy than a regular sheet of cardboard. I wrapped ribbons around the top and bottom for decoration and put a Christmas sticker I already had at the bottom. Then I used some scrapbooking punches to make my red and green squares and the yellow stars.I glued everything together and then wrote the numbers on the stars. Easy and simple!


For our Bible readings we'll be going through Sally Lloyd-Jones' "The Jesus Storybook Bible"

We already own this book and have read through it multiple times with Lemon Boy but seriously, this is one of the best Bible's for children I've read! There are 21 Old Testament stories and 23 New Testament stories. Every story emphasizes God's relationship with man. Jesus and why He had to come to earth is woven through every Old Testament story. I don't know if the author intended it but there are 21 Old Testament stories all pointing to the need for a Saviour and the first 3 New Testament stories are all about Jesus' birth. 

These 24 stories will be our readings for December.


Our activities include things like going to see a Christmas light display, baking cookies for our neighbours, watching "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas", setting up the Christmas tree and going to see a hockey game.

I hope the boys will enjoy our family activities and hopefully start to understand exactly what Christmas is all about.

Do you have any special December traditions? What do you do?


22 comments:

  1. What a great idea! My kids would love something like this!! I still have one more day. Maybe I can put something together today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this calendar! You are way more crafty than me. :) I actually just blogged about traditions.... I LOVE them around this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try :)

      Christmas is a fun time to start new traditions with family. I hope my boys will enjoy this as much as I do.

      Delete
  3. Like your calendar!
    We have a felt calendar with pockets. I fill the pockets with chocolates, and whoever turn it is to put the snowflake in the pocket gets the chocolate for the day. I don't have activities listed for each day. Nor even specific readings. Though a bit later in the month we will read all of the Christmas story through in daily doses. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I just ordered The Jesus Storybook Bible for our boys yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the movement towards meaningful advent calendars! Thanks for popping by the blog hop! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one small way of showing my boys (without preaching at them) what Christmas is truly about.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love this. I really, truly do.

    Aloha Sweet Friend,
    We are gathering for An Aloha Affair, a sweet sort of mingling and sharing and growing together. I would so love it if you'd join us. You will always be welcome, anytime. Save ya a seat?...

    xo,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet idea. Sounds like a tradition that will build their hearts for Jesus. :) Can't go wrong with that!!

    Falen
    www.upwardnotinward.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Heidi! I was looking forward to seeing what you came up with - love this! We have that Bible too and it's so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Heidi! I love your idea :) We have a little cabinet with 25 drawers. Each little drawer has a surprise in it each morning.

    Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend blog party :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderfully creative advent blog ~ great photos ~ (A Creative Harbor ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're always going to remember it! How awesome!!

    Visiting from the No Rules Weekend Blog Party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the calendar turned out out great! Also it's great to hear you like that story bible... I actually just won that one in a giveaway, and it's on it's way! Now I'm even more excited :) {new follower!}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Heidi!
    I'm a new follower from the Aloha Affair blog hop.
    I love your advent calendar! So crafty! :)
    Also, I was at a baby shower last year and one of the mommies gave the Storybook Bible to my friend. So when my niece turned one I gave her that book for her birthday. I can't wait to have kids and read it as well :)
    Nice to meet you.

    Sarah @http://loveeesarah.blogspot.com
    PS. Hope you can come check out my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great crafty idea!! Love finding wonderful Christ centered blogs like yours!

    Hi there, found you through a blog hop, glad I did! I look forward to reading your posts and am now following you! Come on by the Aloha Friday Blog hop and link up with us too!! It's easy and you could end up being next week's featured blogger!!

    http://www.whatjeanlikes.com/2012/11/aloha-friday-blog-hop-32-december-is-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this!! I was trying to think of something to do with the boys since they don't really get much out of the generic calendars either. A friend gave me the book, "The Advent Jesse Tree" last year, and I need to pull it out. But I really love your idea--especially the family activities. I'll have to share this with my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even as old as my kids are (18 and 14) we always make a countdown chain every year for Christmas and make goodies to give away at Christmas.

    I love your calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We make a countdown chain every year and make Christmas goodies for our friends and families.

    I love your advent calendar. it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...