Monday, November 19, 2012

Kindergerms

Lemon Boy went to preschool for two years before he started kindergarten this year. I naively assumed that this would ensure he wouldn't be one of those kids that got sick constantly in their first year of school.

Preschool plus Church/Sunday school every week is lots of exposure to germs, right?

Wrong!

So far Lemon Boy's had several colds and is now battling his second round of the flu since September.


plus now he's given it to Claudio

My sister-in-law recommends oil of oregano.
 Any other natural recommendations?

I'd love these two sicklies to get better soon and I don't want to catch it myself!

Funny,

They're sick, but not too sick to watch football , hmmm...
Moving on

I made this recipe on Saturday

                                                                      Source: foodnetwork.com via Heidi on Pinterest


I used a bag of pre-chopped cabbage
and just made the dressing.

Very strong sesame flavour (which I love!)
but if you're not sure how much you love sesame you may want to
half the oil and/or omit the actual seeds.

Dressing
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger. 
I didn't have any fresh so I used 1/8 tsp ground and 1 tbsp chopped pickled ginger
  • 2 tbsp white vinegar
  • 2 tbsp dark brown sugar 
I thought it needed a little more sweetness so I used 3 tbsp
  • 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 20 grinds black pepper

Whisk it all together and pour over cabbage/coleslaw mix. Delicious!


Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to my daughter when she started kindergarten. I think it's because at the preschools, they are usually making the kids wash their hands, several times throughout the day. In kindergarten, the kids are on their own! Hope they feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big Sesame fan too. Hope your guys get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that stinks that they're so sick. I hope you don't get it. The flu is awful!!! Poor Lemon Boy. Yeah, you would think he was exposed to a lot in preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the recipe looks amaze! So sorry your kiddos been sick. yucky germs in the house are such a bummer.

    Aloha Sweet Friend,

    Thank you so very much for joining us last week for An Aloha Affair. Thank you for sharing your sweet energy with us.

    This week's An Aloha Affair is now live and I hope that you'll join us again in between holiday prep and such... I hope too that you know... I am oh so very thankful for you!

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I hope they get better soon! My daughter has never been sick and is getting sick from going to nursery school this year. I give her Vitamin C and I've been meaning to get echinacea supplements. My mom swears by those to boost the immune system. :)

    ReplyDelete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...