Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankful Thursday - The Cold, November 8th Edition

I know I've been regularly posting about gratitude on Thursdays for a while now and maybe you think I've reached a saturation point? Is it possible to focus on thankfulness too much? I don't think so, especially since I seem to forget this during the rest of the week.

I read something about thankfulness today that made me pause. So often I've been working on getting rid of the negative thoughts in my head, but have I truly replaced them with positive?

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."
Philipians 4:8

Sit down and write out 10 things you're are truly thankful for. When those negative thoughts pop up (without warning like they so often do) go back to your list, read them again and think of those things.

I know one thing I'm thankful for today is a warm house. It is currently -8 and there is a heavy snowfall warning for our area. I would not want to be stuck outside with no where to go but there are people in my city in that situation.

Today's Happy Project challenge is to create a Blessing Bag. Last year Lemon Boy's preschool put a backpack together for the Mustard Seed to give out to one of their clients. Here is a list of the items needed. If you'd like to do this their deadline to give them out for Christmas is December 22.

Another way to contribute is the Samaritan's Purse Christmas shoe boxes. A list of items needed can be found here. National collection week is November 19-25 (in Canada). Our church is having a packing party next week and you can bet our whole family will be there. I want my children to begin to understand how blessed we are and how we are called as Christians to share that blessing with others. There is so much inequality in our world and if you stop and think about the enormity of the situation it can seem hopeless. Yet one tiny drop in a bucket will start to add up if other tiny drops are added. I may not be able to do much but I can add my drop.

Thankful for my warm house. Thankful for my kids and that Lemon Boy's flu seems to be gone. Thankful that so far no one else in this house seems to have gotten it (I thought yesterday that it might be my turn but that's not the case so far, Yay!) Thankful that God has been placing gratitude on my heart lately and showing me how important it truly is. Thankful it's Thursday and that this weekend coming up will be a time of refreshment. Thankful that a friend reminded me earlier this week to be thankful for my job (he didn't even realize what he was doing but it sure spoke to me!) Thankful that I have been blessed to live in this country and that I am able to share my blessings with others.

So, what are you thankful for today? How can you bless someone else?


Spread the happy :)



life rearranged

a punk, a pumpkin and a peanut

The Fontenot Four

21 comments:

  1. Love the glasses! And I'm thankful it isn't that cold here yet!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful to have found so many other women who are blogging about their faith and how it relates to their lives. I am also one of those women. I hope you consider visiting me at http://peaceitalltogether.blogspot.com.

    Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower from the blog hop. I love the C. S. Lewis quote in your header.

    Heidi @ typativemamacat.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are keeping up on the happy project! I am playing catch up with it!! and -8 at your house?! I cant even fathom. It was 45 here this mroning and I am celebrating winter's arrival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it's been pretty cold here which generally would make me unhappy, but I'm really working on staying positive despite the weather :)

      Delete
  5. Soooo lovely! I'm listing one thing a day i'm thankful for on my instagram. i've been so down on myself lately with my blog, and it's like i'm waiting for others to cheer me up. i have to realize i need it to come from within. one day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, no one can change your attitude but you :)

      Delete
  6. i just started following your blog and i love it, this post is amazing and i have so much to be thankful but i am very thankful for my faith in god and my husband and children without them i am nothing. Feel free to visit my blog sometime http://realhousewifemommastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi, thanks for the reminder of replacing the negative with the positive. I'm doing Beth Moore's Breaking Free Bible study and she was just talking about that in the video we watched on Tuesday night. And I promptly forgot it as soon as I left there. It's a great reminder to fill myself up with God's love, all that positive goodness that I need to remember while getting rid of those crappy lies from the enemy. I'm thankful I read your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so true that just listing a few of the things you have to be grateful for will so easily chase any negative thoughts about life and the hand you've been dealt. thanks for the reminder to seek joy.

    Aloha,

    I wanted to personally invite you too to join me and our beautiful team for An Aloha Affair-- it's a new sort of way of being/ growing together in a more meaningful way and we're truly committed to you having a great experience-- I hope you'll join us... save ya a spot?...

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi :) Following from The Friendly Friday Hop!

    Kelly
    http://hiccupsandsunshine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post Heidi! It's great to try and focus on the positive and push away the negative.

    Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party :)
    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurray that no one else got the flu! I love your list of many things that you're grateful for, and the note to spread the happy. :)

    I’m visiting from the Weekend Blog Walk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heidi...I am excited to share that you are the reader's choice this week at WJIM's Monday's Musings. Thank you for the encouragement to remember the less fortunate. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Heidi! I absolutely love reading all your posts. I am glad I came across your blog. I am visiting from the Friday Chaos Blog hop and I am your newest follower. Would love if you would come by blog and visit.

    Thanks
    Nichole
    www.pinkieforpink.com

    ReplyDelete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...