Today I'm thankful for the routine of my life in Canada
Thankful for the ordinary that is our life in Canada
Last Sunday our church showed a video for
Operation Christmas Child
The video showed children in the Philippines
Children who live in the local dump
They spend their days searching through garbage for things to sell
To help their families live
This is their ordinary, their routine of life
This is their ordinary, their routine of life
We are so blessed!
I think our family is pretty average.
We don't have a lot, according to North American standards
but when you look at the rest of the world
we are beyond rich.
Tonight we are packing two boxes to send
I'm thankful that we have the resources to do this!
Thankful that my boys don't have to
dig through broken glass, dirt, rotten food, etc
to find other people's cast offs to sell
in order to eat.
I know two shoe boxes with some toys, school supplies, candy and toiletries are
not going to change the world.
not going to change the world.
But did you know that many of the shoe boxes given out are
the first presents these children have ever received?
If nothing else, let a child know that
someone else in the world cares about them.
someone else in the world cares about them.
So today I'm thankful for the ability to give.
Want some more information?
What are you thankful for today?
Linking up with Carina, Sarah, Emily and Cassie





This is a great idea and such a wonderful concept to be teaching your boys! The world would be a better place if more parents took the initiative to teach their children about giving!
ReplyDeleteIt's true! When you give to others less fortunate it can really change your perspective which in turn can really change your life. I hope I can teach my boys to give with happy hearts!
DeleteHow sad for those poor children! Thanks for letting us know how we can help, and the perspective :)
ReplyDeleteI love all of these pictures. Giving back is truly better than receiving. I am a new follower from the blog hop. :)
ReplyDelete-Logan
www.southernsunflowersandcoffeebeans.com
I am thankful we can give too. According to poverty level standards, we are right there. Yet we are not in debt, we live very well, and we are going on a month long trip in January. Seriously, we are so blessed!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite things about the Holidays are the opportunities to give. We have no children, so we go in search of ways to give to other children. Love it.... and its what Jesus was about anyway. :)
ReplyDeleteStopping by from "Almost Friday" blog hop and new follower :)
Lauren @ Aunt LaLa
auntlala25.blogspot.com
How nice!! Giving back is so important.
ReplyDeleteLove that your family packed shoe boxes for OCC. I try to tell my kids about how blessed and lucky they are but they don't seem to understand. Our church sponsors and built a Manna Feeding Center in Guatemala and I can't wait to take my kids there to see how some people live. I have never been but I want to go soooo bad! This week a few of our church members are in Guatemala having a VBS for the children that come to the feeding center. I hope next year I will get to go :)
ReplyDeleteIt always amazes me how perspective can be obtained by taking a good look around our little planet. Thanks for the reminder, really, truly.
ReplyDeleteStopping by to say "aloha" from An Aloha Affair and to invite you to join us this week. We are now live and are ready to mingle. I can't wait to see what else you've been up to this week.
Aloha,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com
So true, thanks for stopping by Nicole :)
DeleteThe ability to give is a blessing indeed. My family and me started a nonprofit foundation just for that reason. New follower here from an Aloha affair. http://subliminallysmitten.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool! There are a lot of ways to give back, it's not just about money.
DeleteHello, I am your newest follower. =) please take a moment to stop in and say hello. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
So nice to meet you!
DeleteI just finished reading a book about a boy's life in South Sudan and I feel the same way, so so so happy that we're able to live safely where we do.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet post :)) Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!
ReplyDeleteI'm a no reply blogger but I'm trying to be brave enough to do what's gotta be done to fix it. Afraid I'll mess something up and that'll be the end of my blog...
Paula
lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com
Thanks Paula!
DeleteI wrote a tutorial on how to change this :) Check out my tutorial (look under labels on the right hand side)
Thanks Heidi!! I'm off to ck this out now :))
DeleteYour little ones are so cute :) And I love the ministry done at Samaritan's Purse.
ReplyDeleteFound you through the Friendly Friday linkup, now following you via GFC!
XO
Erin
sweetnessitself.blogspot.com
Hi new follower from the chaos blog hop. I really like the look of your blog and I'm looking forward to your posts. I have a Daddy blog I'd love it, if you have the time, to swing by and pay me a visit :-).
ReplyDeletehttp://chandodaddy.blogspot.co.uk
Samaritans Purse is such an awesome organization!!!! I feel the SAME way! When we put our lives into perspective like this it sure make me appreciative of what we have. Even though we might not have a lot in the eyes of our world we are RICH in the eyes of the entire world. Always something to keep in mind. :) Following along from the hop today! :)
ReplyDeleteI did the shoebox project a couple years in high school; it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I've tried to do it since but there are sadly almost no drop off points in the UK and none that are even remotely near me :(
ReplyDeleteFound you through the I Love My Online Friends blog hop & am your newest follower! Hope you'll stop by & follow back, too <3
- Erin xo
365mu.blogspot.co.uk - One girl's attempt at creating 365 different make-up looks in as many days
Stopping by from the hop!
ReplyDelete- Kaileigh @ somehowchaotic.blogspot.com
Yesterday I drove by what i thought was a dump, to my shock to see it was houses, Houses put together with odd pieces of wood and cardboard. It broke my heart to think how those people are going to spend their christmas.
ReplyDeleteMakes you realize just how blessed you really are with what you have.
Missing you guys this christmas.