Canada is officially 144 years old today. I hope you all are celebrating!
Here are some random Canadian facts:
- Sir John J.C. Abbott was the third Canadian Prime Minister but the first Prime Minister to be born in Canada
- Canada is the world's second largest country when water area is included but fourth when only land area included.
- There are more Canadian players in the NHL than from all other countries combined.
- Canada is home to the world's northernmost settlement, Canadian Forces Station Alert, on the northern tip of Ellesmere Island.
- The CFL (Canadian Football League) is the only professional sports league in North America, major or minor league, where each existing franchise has won at least one league title.
- The name Canada comes from the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata, meaning "village" or "settlement".
- Common contenders as the Canadian national food include Poutine and Butter tarts.
- The Marvel Comics character Wolverine is often referred to affectionately as "the Ol' Canuklehead" due to his Canadian heritage.
- Although the Canadian Confederation was formed in 1867, Canada only achieved full sovereignty in 1982.
- Despite our geographically large size, Canadians only make up 0.5% of the world's total population.
All of the above "facts" are from (where else?) Wikipedia.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)