Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Original End Post

It occurred to me the other day that it was now the middle of July. This may not be a huge revelation to most of you but the significance for me was that July was the original month that Domingo's departure was planned for, before his time with us came to an unexpected end. You can read about that here.

Domingo lived with us for over a year. We spent two Christmas's with him. He was part of family pictures and celebrations and although I knew the plan was for him to move out on his own after graduation I had secretly hoped that he might still want to come around every once in a while. Obviously this has not been the case.

Although it's only been four months since he left somehow his time with us seems ages and ages ago. We adjusted to being a family of four again with relative ease. At the time I worried that Lemon Boy would not do well with him leaving but our explanation that Domingo was now an adult and adults want to live on their own seemed to satisfy his questions.

Both boys still remember and ask about Domingo on occasion. I'm not sure how much Googa actually remembers but he does mention Domingo's name now and again. I know Lemon Boy remembers. They often include him in their nightly prayers.


People have told me that even though he didn't show it, one day Domingo would be thankful for his time with us. They said he would look back and remember what we said or how we did things and he'll realize what a good thing he had going on here. That may or may not be the case. It would be nice but I'm not fooling myself. We may have shown him the good parts of having a family but we also showed him the bad. Claudio and I are not perfect and living with us, Domingo saw firsthand our imperfections and our failures.  

I know that God has a plan for Domingo. I'm glad we were part of that plan, if only for a season. I pray that we did have a positive impact on his life and that he will go on to find success and joy in life.

Although his time with us was sometimes very hard and didn't have the happy ending that I hoped for, I would not change my mind if I had to do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...