In September I posted this:
I knew Claudio would love to have these limited edition Andy Warhol inspired tomato soup cans on his shelf. However they were only being sold at Target in the U.S. I was slightly annoyed but figured it just wasn't meant to be and that it'd make a good addition to my blog post for the day.
That very same day Jennifer from Ramblings of a Suburban Mom wrote me and mentioned that she was often at Target and would pick them up for me if I wanted. I was a little surprised, a complete stranger would do this? So I gave her my address and asked her to let me know how much the shipping would be. Claudio and I are on a budget and I knew shipping could be pricy. When a month went by and I hadn't heard back from her I figured she forgot or had just gotten busy, I mean, who has time to go out of their way for a stranger?
Imagine my surprise when a package arrived around the end of November and in it were the cans. And here's the kicker, when I emailed Jennifer to say thanks and ask how much I owed her, she said not to worry about it! Merry Christmas!
Needless to say, Claudio was thrilled. He's on Instagram, unlike me @abuelo_limon
You know, a couple of cans of tomato soup isn't generally a life-changing kind of gift. Yet it really spoke to me. How many of us are willing to give up our time and money for others, especially someone we've never met? There was nothing in this for Jennifer, she has no idea I've even written this post. She just did something nice for someone, just because.
I'm thankful for the cans.
I'm thankful that Claudio was happy to get them.
Yet mostly I'm thankful for the reminder. Give a little kindness, just because. No expectation of recognition or reward. Just to do something nice.
Thanks Jennifer!

Aww you are very welcome, this was so sweet!!!! I am glad he loved them!!!!!
ReplyDeletethat was really sweet. A blessing to all of you.=)
ReplyDeleteahhh, what a sweet girl!
ReplyDeletethey are super cool aren't they?!
I love to hear... er read... things like this! This is why Blogging is more than just writing a journal! It's a wonderful community! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's amazing. Faith in humanity restored, once more! Once, someone behind me in line paid for the box of diapers I was buying at Shopper's Drug Mart. That was kind of them. Sometimes I give food to homeless people, but I haven't done anything truly amazing.. When someone does something nice for me, or I hear of someone doing something nice for someone else, I kind of feel like a loser who never does anything nice for people, haha :p
ReplyDeleteI love stuff like this! I went to my local Target to get some, but they were already sold out. Not a big deal to me, I just thought they were cute.
ReplyDeleteOne time, though, I was reading a blog, and the author was writing about this amazing deal she'd gotten on a duvet cover set. I LOVED it, so I asked her which store she got it from. It turned out to be a department store that wasn't in my state, and they were sold out online. She volunteered to go out of her way to go back to the store and purchase it for me, and ship it to me. I paid her the purchase price and shipping via paypal, but she spent her time and energy to go to the store and post office for me, and even sent me a sweet card in the box! I think of her every time I look at that duvet cover, and get major warm-fuzzies for the kindness of blog strangers!