"Megan, I'd like you to meet my husband Claudio. Claudio this is Megan"
"Well actually my name is Linda but it's nice to meet you Claudio"
I sit here laughing to myself in total and complete embarrassment as I write this. I can't even remember if I apologized (I hope I did!) because the awkwardness of that moment has completely crowded out any other details.
That being said, here are my Top 5 reasons why I like blogging better than real life:
- Face to face conversations can turn awkward so quickly. I have been known to put my foot in my mouth on more than one occasion. Believe me, the above conversation is NOT the first time I've made a fool of myself in front of someone I don't know that well. If real life had a spellcheck/edit function I think it would be so much easier.
- There is time to think about what I want to say so I can (try to) be funny/witty without having to be quick about it. This goes along with the previous comment. I can read, re-read, re-read again and then get Claudio's opinion about a post before I actually commit and hit "publish".
- I can start writing, stop and do something else, then go back and finish a "conversation." Like this post for example. I started it a while ago but didn't have anything funny to say about it (but as "luck" would have it the above conversation totally filled that void) So now I can finish this post and you all can have a good laugh at my expense.
- I can talk about whatever I want and there's no one to interrupt me, pure narcississtic joy.
- I've always wanted to be a social butterfly. I may have sort of succeeded in high school and did get together on a regular basis with some mommy friends when I was a stay-at-home mom. However, now that I work full-time during the days and Claudio works in the evenings it is much more difficult. When I blog I am connecting with
many,a few, one or two people at once.
All this being said, I know I need to work on being more social. I do enjoy being around people and sitting behind a computer all day can be monotonous. So if you see me in the lunchroom and I start to make introductions, just interrupt me and introduce yourself. Seriously
Great post! I can definitely relate to this stuff. Especially the luxury of being able to think for as long as you want about what you're going to say before saying it. I am NOT quick witted, and when I write, I write, write, and re-write. If only I could figure out how to do that in real life...One of the many wonderful things about face to face interactions, however, is that there are no typos or autocorrect. Just, like you say, a whole lot of awkwardness.
ReplyDeleteha ha! Glad I'm not the only person who feels this way :)
Delete