Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What's On My Heart


So I'm minding my own business at work yesterday when my boss asks me to do some research on a church denomination that has expressed interest in working with our foundation. Random research assignment... great! (no really, this is not sarcastic, I actually enjoy this sort of thing)

I go to the conference website and find out all sorts of useful information, how many churches they have in Alberta, where their head office is located, what schools they are affiliated with, etc. Then I click on the Compassionate Care Ministries link, start to read and something in my heart starts to move...


One church has a hot lunch every Sunday after church where street people, low income or anyone in need can come, eat, pick out clothing and toiletries that the church provides.

Another church provides a place that is open three times a week with free laundry facilities, food and clothing bank.

A third church bought a two story building. The main floor is used for church, the basement for Sunday school. The upstairs they turned into a recovery centre for homeless men.

WOW

I hadn't really thought about it too much before. Yes, I had been part of those discussions of how can we reach our community? But it was just a conversation. I know we are supposed to love our neighbour, I say hello to mine occasionally. I am comfortable at our church. I have my friends, I volunteer with the children's ministry and worship team. My cocoon is safe and warm.

Is this what Jesus wants? For me to feel safe in my comfortable space at church? Sitting in the same pew (or rocking chair in the nursery) every Sunday? Yes, I do try to say hello to new people when they come. I find this hard, I get nervous, don't know what to say. But I try, that should count for something, right?

Somehow I don't think Jesus would have sat in the same pew every Sunday.

I don't know why I'm feeling this so strongly but I want to write it down. I want to remember what moved me so strongly when I read those words. I don't want to fall back into complacency. I want to get out of this rut of church is Sunday mornings from 10am to noon. We are the Church, we are His body. Serving and loving others, that is what Jesus did. "When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd" Matthew 9:36. Jesus came to give hope, acceptance, healing and love. Not just for those sitting in church. For everyone, and it is our privilege to be able to share that with this broken, hurting world.

What am I doing to show Jesus to the world around me?




4 comments:

  1. Nice post. Sharing this is a bit risky though. Someone out there might just get inspired to do something cool for Jesus outside of their normal rhelm of service to the Kingdom of God. Praise the living God!! We were brainstorming where I live about ways to reach the community and I LOVE what you posted. Thanks for taking the time to inspire others. Blessings to you and your fam.
    www.northropfamilymissions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. This is an excellent post Heidi! Definitely inspiring. I would love to be a part of one of those ministries that those churches have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Claudio and I are brainstorming ways to reach out to our community from FGT. I think we've got something that we may want to start next summer. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...