It's -16°C here today, which really isn't too cold for Calgary in January, but it's -28°C with the windchill and it's blowing snow, quite blizzard-like. Although it's stormy outside we are warm and cozy inside our house. It's funny, but as I looked outside I had the thought that sometimes our lives are like today. We all have cold, stormy days in our lives. Sometimes it's something small like an offhand comment that hurt us, kids making us crazy, house a disaster or neighbours playing the music too loud. Sometimes it's bigger, loss of a job, financial difficulties, friendship strained by a disagreement. For some of us, the problem/storms seem impossible to get through. My fellow blogger has a daughter who was born with multiple abnormalities in her body and most likely won't live until her first birthday (Read her blog here). Or a marriage that is breaking down or sickness that's been diagnosed as terminal. When these storms batter our lives, do we have a place to shelter us from the storm? Do we run to the One who can shelter us from the storms?
It seems so silly but often when I feel depressed, anxious or frustrated about something happening in my life, instead of turning to the One who will keep me under His wings, I turn to just about anything else. Music, the computer, reading a book or anything to take my mind off of what's happening. If I was stuck outside in a snow storm, I wouldn't be plugging in my iPod, picking my favourite playlist! I'd be searching for the nearest shelter, to get out of the wind and cold. So why, when I'm facing a storm in my life, do I not immediately do the same?
Psalm 27:5 "For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock".
Psalm 91:1-2 "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
I am slowly learning this lesson. There have been many times in my life where God has proved Himself faithful. Just the other day I had an answer to a problem in my life that I hadn't even prayed about. When Claudio and I realized what had happened, we were both amazed by God's provision and reminded of His continual faithfulness despite the limits of our faith. I need to remember to trust Him in the small things so that when the big storms rock my life, I will immediately know where to turn.
It seems so silly but often when I feel depressed, anxious or frustrated about something happening in my life, instead of turning to the One who will keep me under His wings, I turn to just about anything else. Music, the computer, reading a book or anything to take my mind off of what's happening. If I was stuck outside in a snow storm, I wouldn't be plugging in my iPod, picking my favourite playlist! I'd be searching for the nearest shelter, to get out of the wind and cold. So why, when I'm facing a storm in my life, do I not immediately do the same?
Psalm 27:5 "For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock".
Psalm 91:1-2 "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
I am slowly learning this lesson. There have been many times in my life where God has proved Himself faithful. Just the other day I had an answer to a problem in my life that I hadn't even prayed about. When Claudio and I realized what had happened, we were both amazed by God's provision and reminded of His continual faithfulness despite the limits of our faith. I need to remember to trust Him in the small things so that when the big storms rock my life, I will immediately know where to turn.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)