Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Finished! (almost)

So my goal was to finish the Quiet Book before we left for Sicamous. I wanted the boys to be able to play with it on the way there and I knew that if I didn't have a deadline the book would never get finished. As it stands, I managed to finish all the pages and most of the cover (with a little help from my friend Mimi and my Mom, thanks guys!) before we left.

The only thing that's not finished is the outside edge of the cover which I plan to be done this week so I can give my Mom back her sewing machine. I used rings (like the ones in binders) to attach my pages to the cover. This way I can add more pages if I want or if both boys want to play with the book I can separate some pages so they can each have some. You can find the tutorial on how to make a cover like mine here.

 
Some of these pages you will have already seen if you've read my previous Quiet Book posts. I'm just showing all the pages in order.
 
Both boys got their own name page where they can rearrange the letters of their names and then open the flaps to see a picture of themselves.

Street page where Lemon Boy and Googa can drive their cars. The vehicles that are there are buttons that are sewn on. I thought this was as genius idea and oh-so-cute but as it turns out, Lemon Boy is annoyed that they are in his way when he is driving his cars and the buttons are starting to come apart so we'll just chalk this one up to experience.

 
Lemon Boy's page

 
This is the favorite page, hands down. Both Lemon Boy and Googa flip immediately to this page. Googa likes to pull all the numbers off and then touch all the buttons like he's counting (so cute!)
Lemon Boy actually likes to add. He's figured out that he can count the buttons to do simple addition but is now annoyed that I only made numbers up to 10 *sigh* so I might need to make some larger numbers... but we'll see.

 
 This page is for setting the table. I have a plate, fork, knife, spoon, cup and napkin which all have their spots on the place-mat.

 
 
 Next are the button your shirt and tie your shoes pages

 
 I want to show the buttons on the shirt aren't they the coolest? I got them from my friend Mimi, who is making her own Quiet Book too. When she's finished I want to post pictures of her book as well. It's a neat example of two people looking at exactly the same blogs and coming up with two totally different ideas of their own.

 
The End


I do actually have some more ideas for more pages and have LOTS more material and extras to work with (I have no zipper page which kind of bugs me!) However, my Mom would like her sewing machine back and I do want this project to finally end. I have other projects I would like to start and this one has been consuming my time for quite a while now. The good thing is that if I ever do get around to making more pages they are very easy to add.



Edited to link up with Melissa

12 comments:

  1. Aww, that's an awesome book! I would have enjoyed that when I was a kid--and I bet your kids really liked it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi this is amazing. What a great way for your lil guys to learn shapes and even some early reading. I love the pictures you put in there of themselves, and the shoes. SO Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and BTW thank you so much for linking up for FBF this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome- found you on the flash back friday link up. stop by and visit me sometime www.kendrakaypahukoa@blogspot.com
    oh, i love your c.s. lewis quote at the top of your blog. good to remember! :) have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute! I bet it took you a long time. I finally gave up and just bought one:) that's an awesome feat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure did and that's why the boys have to share :)

      Delete
  6. That is so cool. I would buy that since I would never be able to make it. If you ever go in the business of making them, look me up..

    Julie @ Naptime Review

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! Thank you so much for linking up to Sunday's Sweet Confessions over at mommy's sweet confessions! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are SO talented! I sew as well, but this is amazing work. I've seen some of these books (and remember having one that my aunt made me as a baby) and I've wanted to make one but they look like so much work. You did a great job. Thanks for linking up on The Pinspiration Project!

    http://adayinthelifeofamomandawife.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-pinspiration-project-13.html

    Also, could I please get you to add a button or link back to one of our blogs? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely adorable! I love the button and shoe pages. Those would definitely be useful ;)

    If you haven't already, this week's link up is live! Love to have you again with another Pinterest-inspired project. http://fortunefavors11.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-pinspiration-project-14.html

    ReplyDelete

Like most bloggers I heart comments (the nice ones anyways). They make my day! I will try to reply by email if possible but if you are a no-reply blogger then I'll reply here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...